Monday, October 24, 2011

Newburyport Half Marathon Recap

Yesterday my sister and I ran the Newburyport Half Marathon and we couldn't have asked for better weather. The air was nice and crisp with little wind and it was slightly overcast and since the race didn't start until 10:00am it had warmed up just enough for perfect fall running weather. The course was very scenic and went throughout the City of Newburyport in neighborhoods, around the center and near the water. The course was gorgeous and it was marketed as a flat course but there was a few steady inclines and hills that you felt but overall it was relatively flat.

My sister and I right around the finish line, this was her first half marathon!
Since this was my sister's first half marathon and I helped train her I decided to run the whole race with her. She did an awesome job and in the picture above it looks like she is doing better than me. We crossed the finish line in 2:02 which was awesome since Kristina's goal was to finish under 2:05. She kicked it at the very end of the race and beat me but I figured I would let her :) since it was her first and my seventh half marathon.
After race party
Once we finished the race we headed to the car to change then met up with my parents, Joe and Abigail to enjoy some after race beers. They had Peak Organic Brewing Company there as the beer sponsor and it was delicious. I had never tried their beer before but I will be in search for it next time I am at the store because it was delicious.

 
Kristina, Abigail and I post race
Proudly wearing our yo yo medals and enjoying our well deserved beers
The closest my dad will get to finishing a race
After we enjoyed the post race party we headed over to the center and found a cute diner to have lunch.  The service was a little slow but it was worth the wait because my wrap was delicious.
Abigail wearing nonno's hat (that is what she will call my dad)
Turkey bacon ranch wrap on a spinach tortilla
Question: What is the best part of a race for you?